|Pagano Square and the mount Piltriquitrón|
|Typical Street of El Bolsón|
The first white man who arrived to the place was Captain Juan Fernández, searching the mythical City of the Caesars but in the area the "tehuelches" and the "mapuches" later lived for hundred of years. In 1880 some farmers from Chile were established. People of differents places of Europe began to arrive and settled down in El Bolsón such as Polish, Russian, German, Ukranian, Italian, Spanish... On 28 January 1926, some residents signed up the act of the initial administrative and political organization of the city.
In the seventies a lot of bohemian young people of the "hippie" movement arrived to El Bolsón, changing their lifestyle. They came from the big cities like Buenos Aires, settled in the farms and made handcrafts. Till now you can see them in the Pagano square where the Regional Fair is a tourist attraction.
El Bolsón is placed at the foot of the mount Piltriquitrón (The Piltri, is the nickname used by the inhabitants). The name Piltriquitrón in the "mapuche" tongue means "hanging from the clouds". It´s a very beautiful mountain of 2260 meters and some people say that it has a special energy... In the year of 1982 there was a large fire in the beech forest that covers the hill and later a group of artists organized "The Carved Forest", an exhibition of wood carving at 1500 meters of altitude.
Since 1984, El Bolsón was declared NON NUCLEAR ZONE and ECOLOGICAL MUNICIPALITY...